HKMDB Daily News

March 31, 2009

March 31, 2009

Brigitte LinCharlie Yeung
Carina Lau, Tony LeungWong Kar-Wai and wife
Hong Kong premiere of Ashes of Time Redux - gallery

Video tributes to Leslie Cheung from Maggie Cheung, Gong Li, Faye Wong, Cecilia Cheung and Lucas, Shu Qi, John Woo, Sandra Ng and others

Chow Yun-Fat
Confucius begins filming with low-key ceremony at a Confucian temple

Jay Chou and Lin Chi-Ling - Treasure Hunter
Stills from Ci Ling/Treasure Hunter - Jay Chou and Lin Chi-Ling

Lin Chi-Lin and Eric Tsang
Photo gallery

“Ci Ling” has begun filming

Simon Yam

Nic Tse

Bodyguards and Assassins promotional material released

Examination 1977 poster

Officially released April 4
Zhou Xianxin - 'Little Gong Li'
Shanghai Normal University premiere gallery
Wong Kar-Wai sends public letter of support

Liu YeGao Yuanyuan
Nanking! Nanking!/City of Life and Death

Qin Lan
Gao Yuanyuan thought to be co-lead with Liu Ye rumored to be largely deleted, Qin Lan’s character becomes the lead

Edison Chen ‘tests water’ with role as sex pervert
According to Chinese media, a source revealed that for publicity purposes, the filming period has to be stated as before the uproar of the scandal.

WILL SMITH’S ‘KARATE KID’ GETS NEW NAME?:
Jackie Chan says producers don’t want to use original title.

Shinjuku Incident
Jackie Chan pitches his ‘different’ side in new movie
“I even had my first, mildly saucy scene but that’ll be censored in many countries, including Malaysia,” he said.
In the yakuza’s grip
Not just any Hollywood role for Daniel Wu & Jackie Chan

Cecilia Cheung
Cecilia Cheung shoots new bedding advert in Guangzhou

Korea Times: Police to Question Journalists Over Actress Suicide

Google, music labels launch China download service

Forgery fight looms over Nina Wang’s will

Nina Wang was the widow of Teddy Wang whose kidnapping was depicted in Jackie Chan’s Crime Story

15 Comments

1. “Bodyguards and Assassins promotional material released”

So is Anthony Wong still in this movie? He’s nowhere to be seen in the promotional material or the promo video that was posted on Twitch: http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/promo-for-bodyguards-and-assassins/

Comment by the gaffer — March 31, 2009 @ 10:49 am

2. I noticed the same thing when I looked at the materials. I’ll do some research and see what I can find.

Comment by dleedlee — March 31, 2009 @ 12:07 pm

3. Thanks! ;)

Comment by the gaffer — March 31, 2009 @ 12:58 pm

4. I couldn’t find anything definitive or more current, but some possibilities come to mind:
    1) I wonder if Wang Bo-chieh might not have replaced him. He’s the new name not originally mentioned and it looks like he might be in the latest cast group photo.
    2) Anthony Wong was recently attached to star in Edmond Pang’s Dream House in a Screen Daily report so he might have bowed out. Not sure when that film begins shooting, though.
    Or,
    3) With such a large cast, he might just not be featured in the promotional materials. There’s the idol market, the China market, the Taiwan market, the purty girls and they haven’t even announced who’s going to play Sun Yat-Sen yet!

Hmm, how does Anthony Wong look bald? :)

Comment by dleedlee — March 31, 2009 @ 1:12 pm

5. >>Anthony Wong was recently attached to star in Edmond Pang’s Dream House in a >>Screen Daily report so he might have bowed out.

Maybe Teddy Chan couldn’t figure out what a Eurasion would be doing in 1905 China.

Comment by valeriesoe — March 31, 2009 @ 10:03 pm

6. But here’s my casting ideas: Anthony Wong as Sun Yat-Sen and Francis Ng as Chiang Kai-Shek! And a special appearance of Jay Chou as a (very) young Mao Tse-Tung–that’ll fetch the teen girls.

:) :) :)

Comment by dleedlee — March 31, 2009 @ 11:46 pm

7. Sorry, couldn’t resist. The generic names for the characters in Bodyguards & Assassins are borderline absurd–I probably should’ve said “Anthony Wong as The Father of Democracy! Francis Ng as the Ruthless General! Jay Chou as The Repressive Dictator (teen version)!”

BTW, here’s a new blog post–thanks again for providing links & images:

Comment by valeriesoe — April 1, 2009 @ 4:51 pm

8. Nicely written, V. Shah Ruhk Khan looks like a human snow mogul course! I shudder everytime I see that photo of CYF in the Hawaiian shirt.

Comment by dleedlee — April 1, 2009 @ 5:28 pm

9. >>The generic names for the characters in Bodyguards & Assassins are borderline absurd

>>If you got that from my earlier post, I should clarify. I was just describing their roles. I don’t think that’s what they’re actually called.

In the promo on Twitch they use the same nomenclature so it sounds like an official thing. Maybe the characters will have real names in the movie or maybe not. So until we find out I think we should make fun of it ; )

Signed,

The Reader

PS: Yes, CYF in a Hawai’ian shirt is horrifying. How the mighty have fallen (sob).

Comment by valeriesoe — April 2, 2009 @ 11:35 am

10. Rumor alert! I just heard from a Chinese-speaking friend that CYF is considering playing Sun Yat-Sen in Bodyguards and Assassins. Apparently he’s just waiting for his wife Jasmine’s final approval. I’ll link when my friend sends me the info, or keep checking my blog:

beyondasiaphilia.wordpress.com

Comment by valeriesoe — April 2, 2009 @ 11:08 pm

11. Thanks! That would be interesting. I thought that he’d previously turned down the role for Confucius back in February?

Comment by dleedlee — April 2, 2009 @ 11:54 pm

12. Hi D,

My friend sent me a scan of a page from Feb. 12 so maybe it’s out of date. Is there a way to send you an attachment so you can verify?

v.

Comment by valeriesoe — April 3, 2009 @ 12:24 am

13. I think the Feb. 12 article is out of date. The story about CYF bowing out of Bodyguards and Assassins for Confucius is later, Feb. 23.

Comment by dleedlee — April 3, 2009 @ 10:18 am

14. >>I think the Feb. 12 article is out of date. The story about CYF bowing out of Bodyguards and Assassins for Confucius is later, Feb. 23.

Sadly, I think you’re right. Plus there’s really no way CYF could shoot both movies simultaneously, unless they save all of his scenes in B & A to the very end.

My friend also mentioned that Leon Lai Ming is being considered for Sun Yat-Sen, which would be dreadful, IMHO, since Lai Ming neither has any charisma nor can he act.

v.

Comment by valeriesoe — April 3, 2009 @ 10:54 am

15. My friend also mentioned that Leon Lai Ming is being considered for Sun Yat-Sen, which would be dreadful, IMHO, since Lai Ming neither has any charisma nor can he act

Yeah, I’ve never been a big fan of Leon. He’s alright but his acting range isn’t very wide. It stretches from Stoic to Very Stoic. It fit him very well in something like Fallen Angels, for instance.

Comment by dleedlee — April 3, 2009 @ 11:34 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress